Since the Apple iPad Pro 9.7″ includes an embedded Apple Sim card, the ability turn on Personal Hotspot has become more difficult, especially if you insert a carrier provided data sim. However, the solution is simple, and only needs to be done once.
- Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options
- Select APN Settings.
- In the ‘Personal Hotspot‘ options, enter the name of the APN for your carrier. e.g. my carrier is DiGi (Malaysia) and the APN is 3gdgnet (this is only for data-only sims, different from diginet which is used on phone sims that use data + talk). Your carrier may have a different APN setting. You may be able to find out here http://wiki.apnchanger.org/malaysia .
- Once done, return to Settings > Mobile Data. You should see a ‘Set Up Personal Hotspot‘ option. It may be greyed out.
- Turn off Mobile Data, or better yet, turn off your device and restart it.
- Give about 2-3 minutes and open the Settings app.
- You should see Personal Hotspot as a new Settings option in the bar on the left, and the Mobile Data > ‘Set Up Personal Hotspot’ should have changed to ‘Personal Hotspot’.
- You can select Personal Hotspot and put in a desired password for your devices to use when connecting to your iPad Pro.